Coping with Allergic Responses in Kerries
by Marilyn Brotherton
Are you one of the many owners who are attempting to cope with apparent allergic
responses in your Kerry? Today, there are high numbers of dogs with allergies
and gastro-intestinal problems, and our Kerries are not immune to these now
commonly seen health issues.
There are some things you must pay attention to starting now!
1. Stop giving any edibles that contain wheat. This includes dog biscuits, toast
crusts, shared sandwiches, etc., as well as dog foods. Snacks can be raw carrots,
or you can buy rice flour and make your own biscuits without wheat flour.
2. Avoid dog foods that also contain Glutens or Brewers Yeast. Wheat, Glutens,
and Brewers Yeast are the highest allergens for dogs with a weakened auto-immune
3. Do not have any shots for at least 6 months after you begin to rebuild the
immune system. The shots further aggravate a weak system.
4. Avoid stressful situations.
5. Don't bathe the dog frequently in the hope of relieving the itch. Baths increase
itching as a rule.
6. Find a food based on animal protein--not a grain protein. A complete amino
acid profile is found only in milk, meat, eggs, fish, and cheese. The grain
proteins have incomplete amino acid profiles and do not support the immune system
well because of the 8 missing essential amino acids. Most dog foods rely on
grain protein, with only a smattering of animal protein. The food should also
be free of chemicals, dyes, fillers, and artificial preservatives. I recommend
Abady Maintenance & Stress formula. Abady contact Carol Tobler at 845-473-1900,
or me at 204-864-2556.
7. Add a hard boiled egg to the diet daily, as well as about 4 oz. raw beef.
(If you are afraid of hamburger, buy some steak or cheap roast, cut it into
cubes, and freeze it.)
8. I also recommend a double dose of a vitamin/mineral supplement that contains
goodly amounts of the missing amino acids for 30 days, and continuing for another
60 days of the regular recommended amount.One supplement that I use for dogs
with problems is the Nutravet Provitabs.
Kerries with the red bellies and the itchy ears are on the verge of more trouble
if you don't take the steps now to improve their health.It takes 3 to 6 months
to rebuild cell structure in the body. So start now!
Last Updated: 12/19/2002, 4:15 pm